Wednesday, 29 April 2015

The Divine Tragedy

Here's the breakdown for the final pages of the prologue. Four and five still need some minor tweaks  to them, but for the most part they look how they will at launch.

Page four:

Initial sketches and panel composition.

Redrawing sketches, final inking on panel three.

Finished text box, colouring experiments on panel three.

Final colouring and typetone on panel three, setting perspective on panel one.

Lighting effects and shading on panel three.

Ink editing on panel three, colours on panel two. Adding background on panel one.

Colours and typetone on panel two, character inking on panel one.

Beginning colours on panel one.

Final artwork with colours, lighting and typetone on panel one.

Page five:

Initial sketches and panel  composition.

Second attempt at pencils.

Further pencil development on panel four.  Decided that panel four would be more effective without a panel wall to emphasise the space of the location. 

Attempts at cat drawing using images for reference.

Final cat design on panel one.

Composition development on panel two.

Final inking, colours and typetone on panel two, final character ink and colour on panel three. It's at this point that Photoshop crashed and I found out that Auto Saver hadn't been working. I lost two hours of work.

Final ink, colour and typetone on panel three.

Final ink, colour and typetone on panel, background work on panel four and final text box work.

Foreground development on panel four.

Final art on panel four, dramatic experimentation with colour filters. This actually looked really nice and I considered doing the other pages like this, but it's a little overkill doesn't really work as an  entrance to the comic.

Another attempt at adding colour  filters. This one obviously wouldn't work for the final thing but it looked so nice I used it as the basis for the act break that I drew next.

Final visuals.

Page six:

Initial concept sketch. I drew this back in December along with concepts for the other act breaks. They all follow the same format.

Considering backgrounds, adding font.

Experimenting with composition. Having the character in the bottom-right seemed like a good idea but I realised that only really works in print. In a book, you read left to right, top to bottom, but online the format is much more vertically oriented. Because you can't see the whole page your eyes don't travel in the same way and having an image in the bottom-right loses its weight.

Experimenting with filling the page.

This didn't really work.

Starting on colour and background pattern work.

Choosing base background colour. I got rid of the gradient because the banding was really distracting.

Developing character illustration.

Final character art.

Adding textures, colour backdrop for character art.

Considering colours.

Experiments in pattern filters.

This became the basis for the final colour scheme of the pattern.

 Final pattern colours.

Final visuals with layer balance, text and colouring.

I've also been looking into advertising using Project Wonderful as a means of promotion. Here are some ads in I designed in standard formats to suit most websites:

This is a 160x600 skyscraper ad. I really like the uneven floor tiles. It's a piece of iconography that I think really conveys the style and tone I'm going for. I think the washed out colour scheme suits this but I might change it to make it stand out more.

Here's an alternate version with the last line of text removed. I worried it was too small to read, but it looks unbalanced without it so I'm not sure which is best.

This is a 728x90 leaderboard ad. Not super pleased with how it turned out, but I have a few months to work on it before the launch.

Same ad with the logo in white for clarity.

This is a 468x60 banner ad. It's a resized version of the banner I'm using to promote it on Smack Jeeves, another site I'll be hosting on. I think it really works. So much so I'm considering editing the official site's header to be more like it. It's a shame I couldn't keep the original logo in it, but it just isn't big enough to make it work.

That's about all I'll have time for before hand-in, but the real work starts next week when I have to balance assignments with comic book production. Let's see how the next two years of my life are going to be.